Monday, March 22, 2010

1 million pillowcase challenge




Several weeks ago I finished 10 pillowcases to donate toward the 1 million pillowcase challenge.



I knew from the first time I read about this cause where I would donate my pillowcases. I donated all 10 of them today with my kids to The Vanessa Behan Crisis Nursery. I took this info straight from their site to tell the story of why the Nursery was started:

Vanessa Behan was a two-year old child who died of severe physical abuse in Spokane on January 9, 1982. At trial, the alleged perpetrator of this crime, Vanessa’s stepfather, was found innocent when Vanessa’s mother refused to testify against him in court.
The outcome of the trial and the sadness surrounding Vanessa’s death prompted local businessman Bill Bialkowsky to mount a campaign to establish a place where children would be safe and removed from harms way. Through his efforts and the generosity of the Spokane community, funds were raised to purchase a 1920s-era home that was renovated and opened as the Vanessa Behan Crisis Nursery in 1987. In its first year, 427 children were served.
As the need for the Crisis Nursery’s services grew, it became apparent the existing home was too small. Another capital campaign was launched and a new and larger facility was built in 2000. Today the Crisis Nursery takes in approximately 3,000 children every year. Since the Nursery opened its doors in January 1987, it has provided a safe haven for more than 56,000 children.


If you notice there are 2 front doors, the one on the left is for the families, the one on the right is for business, we went in the right side door. Emily so wanted to go on the left side, see inside the facility, see the kids that were staying there, I did not even ask if we could. We walked in, met the employee whom I had been in contact with and gave them the pillowcases along with a baby doll quilt. It makes me happy to know that some kids whom for whatever reason need to stay there will have a fun, cheery pillowcase to use during their "visit" and if they want I was told they could keep them. :) Me being a momma that at times has felt like I was at the "end of my rope" for whatever reason just thinks it is so neat that there is a place, a SAFE, warm place that moms and dads for whatever reason can take their kids to if they need a break. I have never needed a break like that but what a service that is available! It is a sad, sad story of why this facility was started but to think of even 1 other life that was saved because of a place like this really warms my heart.
My pillowcases brought the total to 38,994. This was such an easy thing to do, pillowcases are so easy and FAST!! I also was able to use up quite a bit of my stash too, that is always fun to do, gives you an excuse to buy more fabric! :)
I will post later this week on my "quilting retreat" last weekend, a fall mini quilt swap I received, a pattern I got to "test" and some new fabric I have bought recently...have a good week!





2 comments:

  1. What a sad story. And a great charity. I'll have to make some too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Added it to my to-do list and blog :)

    ReplyDelete