Friday, October 30, 2009

breast cancer awarness

I should have posted this at the beginging of the month, not the end!! As we all know October is breast cancer awarness month....this is my mom. In February of 2004 my mom was diagonosied with breast cancer....in December it will be 5 years since my mom was told she is "cancer free" what a wild, emotional, scary time those 10 months were in 2004. My dear ol' mom went through a mastectomy, 3 ports, a week in the ICU, 20 rounds of chemo and 35 rounds of radiation and not all in that order!! What a trooper!

For the past 2 years my parents, my family and this year my brother and his family have done the Susan G. Komen "Race for the Cure" in Spokane, it is a very emotional time, so neat to see all the survivors and ladies going through their treatments all decked out in pink! Above is a picture of my mom at the beginning of this years walk.

This is one of my favorite pictures from my wedding....when my husband and I decided to get married my husband suggested to wait one more year for our wedding (we decided to get married in the middle of August)....My mom was 6 months into her diagnosis, I always wanted to get married in the fall but was not willing to wait another year because I was too scared my mom would not be there for it, so I planned our wedding in 9 weeks....instead of my "something blue" to wear I wore "something pink" in honor of my mom, a pink breast cancer awareness ribbon and I hid it over my heart under part of my dress....my mom did not know until the photographer was taking our pictures and I revealed to my mom this little surprise....I was trying so hard not to cry...I still have that pin on that same spot on my dress and always will :) Also during my mom's cancer my dad shaved his head bald in support of my mom so when we started planning our wedding I begged my dad to grow his hair out and he did and my mom's wigs were great, a lot of people don't even know she had a wig on!

4 comments:

  1. Your post is beautiful. I am so glad your mom is cancer free! Wearing your pink ribbon on your wedding day was so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom looks great. I'm glad she's doing well. I went through breast cancer treatment in early 2005, but nothing like hers, only a lumpectomy and a few weeks of chemo and radiation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's such a great 'survivor' story...I love it! I've never had much interest in the TV show, Survivor, because I would so much rather focus on real life SURVIVORS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also the daughter of a twice over survivor. What an experience. Thanks for sharing your story.

    I LOVE the name of your blog, it is so fitting of what goes on here.

    I have sewing buddies in Spokane if you ever need some sewing company.

    ReplyDelete